Lisa Mitzel: Preparing Mentally to Perform Physically
Take A Course »
Listen in as Positive Coaching Alliance goes 1-on-1 in interviews with top pro and college players, coaches, executives, and other major sports figures and academics who provide tips, tools, information and inspiration for youth and high school sports coaches, parents and student-athletes.
This 1-on-1 interview features Lisa Mitzel (@heymitz), a former NCAA Gymnast from the University of Utah, NCAA Gymnast Coach, and Author of Focused And Inspired: Keeping Our Athletes Safe in a Win-At-All-Costs World. As an author, speaker, and mental training coach, she focuses on growth mindset and how a coach and/or parent can acknowledge and train their athlete to deliver their best both mentally and physically.
Jim Thompson (@JimThompson18), Founder of PCA, speaks with Lisa Mitzel about her inspiration behind mental training, and her latest book, Focused And Inspired: Keeping Our Athletes Safe in a Win-At-All-Costs World. She begins by sharing how her former coach Greg Marsden and sports psychologists stimulated her mental training as an athlete, and later on, as a coach and parent. This foundation transitions into her discussion about Focused and Inspired while diving deeper into the key themes about vulnerability and safety.
More insights from this podcast to look forward to include:
- Authentic Human Connection - how coaches connect with their athletes
- Aspiring to be an “Elevater”
- “Sports is Messy” - how to demonstrate vulnerability and deal with the distractions and struggles of performing as an athlete
- Her inspiration from Michael Phelps’ videos on mental training and visualization
- Safety - Emotional Intelligence and Emotional Awareness
Like what you hear? To subscribe to our podcast in iTunes, click here